Read the passage below then answer the questions that follow. You can also listen to the reader read the passage.
An astronomer used to go out at night to observe the stars. One evening, as he wandered through the suburbs with his whole attention fixed on the sky, he fell accidentally into a deep well. While he lamented and bewailed his sores and bruises, and cried loudly for help, a neighbour ran to the well, and learning what had happened said: “Hark ye, old fellow, why, in striving to pry into what is in heaven, do you not manage to see what is on
Context clues are hints found within a sentence, paragraph, or passage, that a reader can use to understand the meanings of new or unfamiliar words. Types of context clues:
- Definition or description clue. Look for clues: when you see “such as”, and within commas, dashes and parentheses.
- Example clues. Clues are given after words such as including, such as, and for example,
- Synonym restatement clue. Words with the same meaning appears on the sentence.
- Contrast/antonym clue. Look for words like” although”, “however, but
- Mood/tone clue: The author sets a mood, the meaning of the unknown word must harmonize with the the mood.
Now time for some questions.
0 of 7 questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 7 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Question4 point(s)
Use the passage to help you match the words
- go out
Correct 4 / 4 PointsIncorrect / 4 Points
2. Question1 point(s)
What is an astronomer?CorrectIncorrect
3. Question1 point(s)
Why did the astronomer fall into the deep well?CorrectIncorrect
4. Question1 point(s)
Who heard the astronomer’s cry for help?CorrectIncorrect
5. Question1 point(s)
What does “Hark ye” means?CorrectIncorrect
6. Question1 point(s)
What did the neighbour meant by: “pry into what is in heaven, do you not manage to see what is on earth”?CorrectIncorrect
7. Question1 point(s)
What does “striving to pry” means?CorrectIncorrect